Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Catered Crop: Shake It Up Baby!!



Well, shake it up, baby, now (Shake it up, baby)
Twist and shout (Twist and shout)
C’mon c’mon, c’mon, c’mon, baby, now (Come on baby)
Come on and work it on out (Work it on out)
~ Twist and Shout lyrics, 1961



The current challenge at Catered Crop is to do a shaker box.  I have done lots of shaker boxes this summer since my first shaker on April 27 - here they all are gathered together. They are a little fussy to do, but really not difficult.  Here's a video that helped me.

My card today is a throwback to my very first shaker card.  I like the mini shaker with the balloon die cut. The first card was cute, but I wanted a more elegant look for this one.  (FYI - it's not unusual for me to see a problem with a card after I photo it.  In this case, I wish I would have added some color behind that balloon so it stood out better.  On many cards, it's not all that difficult to do some minor surgery and take another photo.  Not so much with shaker cards - once they are adhered, you are stuck with it - so you'll just have to imagine a colorful balloon!)

Birthday Balloon Shaker

I have fallen in love with a particular adhesive for shakers.  It's fairly pricey and you don't get much, but (1) it's clear, (2) it's narrow and (3) you can bend it around things like this balloon.  It's Kool Tak Double-Sided Clear Foam Ahesive.  You'll probably only get five or six cards out of it (if you use it just for the shaker and not to raise an entire panel), but it's worth it to avoid headaches!


As always, Linda has curated a Pinterest board to give you lots of inspiration.  Throughout the week, the Catered Crop design team will give their takes on shaker cards, and on Sunday, they will all be gathered together on a Catered Crop post.


I hope to see you shake it up!!
  • Stamps: Papertrey Ink Birthday Style, Simon Says Happy ("happy")
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Melon Berry, Limeade Ice, Vintage Cream
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Melon Berry, Limeade Ice, Aqua Mist
  • Accessories: Papertrey Ink Birthday Style and Birthday Trio dies, Webster's Pages Party Time sequin mix. Hemptique 10-lb natural twine




13 comments:

  1. LOVE your shaker balloon Kim, this is so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a master Shaker! I love it. Thanks for the smart tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shaker has me twistin' and shouting with how adorable it is (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating about the twisting and shouting part, but not much!). Fun, pretty and, as always, 'classy;!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buehler...Buehler...Buehler....
    I think of that film every time I hear that song! Another amazing shaker card. Love the smallness of it! Still shaky, but doesn't overwhelm the card. Very sweet! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one fantastic idea for a shaker Kim, a balloon shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun shaker card! I thought that your first one looked pretty too. It was a little "softer"-kind of struck me as a Baby congrats card. Both are fun!
    Thanks for the tip about the adhesive. I may get some, since I've only made 2 shaker cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just simply a fantastic card - everything balances perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the song and Love your card!! Ha, ha, you had me smiling again this morning!
    This is such a festive and cheerful BD card!!! I'll definitely give this a try myself!
    Soft colorcombo, perfect with the sequins.
    BTW, how's your son doing so far?
    Is he able to walk again?
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ps. what's the next song you'll come up with?? :-)
    Marybeth used 'what a wonderful world'.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a cute shaker! love all of the colorful streamers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card -- I LOVE it!!! I also love the Kool Tak adhesive - it also have the little square tile adhesive they make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a pretty shaker card. I like the background you used...it shows up the pretty colorful sequins that you used!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!